Can I end my child support order?

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in child support on Friday, December 2, 2016.

As a non-custodial parent, you may have different concerns. For example, you may be struggling to visit your child or you could be dealing with a dispute involving his or her custodial parent. In Jackson County, and all parts of Missouri, child support issues can have a significant impact on you financially, emotionally and even legally. As a result, it is essential to handle any matters involving your child support order properly, whether you wish to modify the order or end it altogether.

According to the Missouri Courts, you can have your child support order abated under certain circumstances. For example, if a child who is obligated to submit his or her college transcripts fails to do so, the non-custodial parent may be able to stop paying child support. Also, you may be able to end your child support order if you take care of your child for over 30 days without the custodial parent having a single overnight visitation. Furthermore, child support orders may automatically end under certain circumstances, such as children turning 18, living on their own, passing away, joining the military or getting married.

If you believe that you should not be required to make child support payments any longer, it is important to review the details of your situation and take action in a timely manner. After all, you should not worry about fulfilling your child support obligations when no longer necessary.

This post was compiled to shed light on the abatement of child support orders and should not be taken as legal counsel.

Related Posts