Hiring an attorney to represent you in any family law matter is a very important step in your legal proceedings. You will rely on your legal representative and their team to handle the fundamentals of your case and ultimately guide you to a satisfactory result. If you need a Kansas City, MO family law attorney to help you with any legal situation, you should know a few solid tips that will help you make an informed decision when it comes to choosing your legal counsel.
Take your decision to hire an attorney as seriously as possible. Family law matters pertaining to divorce, child custody, child support, alimony, and related issues have the potential to impact your life for years to come. The quality of your legal representation will typically determine whether that impact is positive or negative.
Take Advantage of Free Consultation Offers
Many attorneys throughout the United States offer free or reasonably priced consultations with prospective clients. Take time to research potential attorneys in your area, narrowing your list of prospects down to the few that have the best reviews from past clients. Check their own websites as well as third-party review sites for the most holistic view of your options.
Once you have a list of a few potential attorneys with solid reputations in Kansas City, MO, it’s time to take advantage of available consultation services. An initial consultation with an attorney allows you to determine whether the attorney is suitable to represent your case. It also provides the attorney with the chance to weigh the potential outcome of your case and its likelihood of success. Consider asking some important questions and develop several that are unique to your specific case for the best possible outcome.
Basic Questions to Ask a Potential Kansas City, MO Family Lawyer
No matter what type of case you are facing, it is essential to hire an attorney upon whom you can rely throughout your legal proceedings. Start your consultation with a potential legal representative by asking some basic questions that will help you determine their suitability for handling your case:
- “How long have you practiced family law?” When you need legal representation for a specific area of law, it is essential to ensure the lawyer you choose has a solid track record in that practice area. Find out how long the attorney has practiced family law.
- “Have you handled cases similar to mine in the past?” Make sure the attorney can provide at least a few examples of past cases that were similar to your own that they handled successfully. A good attorney should be able to draw many parallels between your current case and past cases they have handled. This can help you feel more confident about the attorney’s ability to represent you successfully.
- “How do you bill clients?” Legal fees are notoriously expensive, but many attorneys throughout the United States offer specialized billing policies that lessen the financial burden of legal fees. For example, under a contingency fee agreement, the client pays nothing if the attorney does not win their case. If they do win, their legal fees are paid as a percentage of the case award.
These basic questions can help you gain a better understanding of what the attorney can do for you. Of course, it is also wise to ask several more questions that are specific to your case:
- “What do you expect to happen with my case?” A good attorney will provide you with a professional interpretation of your legal situation. They may be able to cite case law and legal statutes of which you were unaware, increasing your confidence in your case and providing you with a rough outline of how your case will progress.
- “What obstacles and opportunities do you see in my situation?” Every family law case is unique, and your case is likely to include many factors that can work for or against you during legal proceedings. An experienced attorney should highlight these challenges and advantages quickly and accurately, so you have a more comprehensive understanding of your legal situation.
- “How long do you expect my legal proceedings to take?” The time required for a legal case can fluctuate based on several factors. It’s a good idea to ask the attorney how long they expect your case to require. This timeline will help you gauge the potential cost of your legal fees.
Your family law matter is unique to you and your loved ones involved in the case. It is essential to take time to develop several more questions that are specific to the case at hand. Once you have agreed to representation from a Kansas City, MO family law attorney, provide your legal counsel with as much information and documentation as possible. The more information you provide, the better your attorney can represent your interests.
Benefits of Hiring the Right Family Law Attorney
Some people make the mistake of believing they do not need legal representation for a family law matter, but this is not true. If you forego legal representation, you could face a very different outcome than you hope to achieve with your case. An experienced Kansas City, MO family law attorney is your best resource when facing a family law matter.
Your attorney can not only handle fundamental procedural issues with your case, such as filing required documents with the court, arranging court appearances, and drafting necessary documentation. They can also prepare you for courtroom proceedings, locate expert witnesses who can potentially assist with your case, and connect you with additional resources that may be helpful during and after a challenging legal battle.
Do not make the mistake of assuming you will have a better outcome by avoiding the legal fees that come with hiring an attorney. The reality is that foregoing legal counsel can be devastatingly costly, especially in family law matters. Whether you are fighting for custody of your children, an appropriate child support agreement, or you simply want to divorce your spouse as cleanly and efficiently as possible, the right Kansas City, MO family law attorney is your best asset in any family law matter.