Can an unmarried parent be required to pay child support?

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in child support on Friday, October 6, 2017.

From questions about the modification of a child support order to tax refund interception and figuring out how to enforce a child support order, our law firm knows that people have all sorts of questions about this facet of family law. However, you may be wondering how child support could affect you if you recently split up with your child’s other parent, whether you are worried about providing for the child and are unsure if you are eligible to receive child support or are not sure if you will be required to make payments.

According to the Missouri Department of Social Services,¬†establishing paternity allows both of a child’s parents to go to court over child support matters. If paternity has been established and you are a child’s legal father, you may be required to pay child support, regardless of whether or not you were married to the child’s other parent. If you hope to receive child support benefits but paternity has not been established, you may want to take a closer look at this topic and familiarize yourself with some of the different ways paternity can be established.

If you are worried about child support payments, you should take all relevant details into account and make sure that you work through your circumstances correctly. We have outlined many of the consequences that can arise with regard to delinquent child support, but parents struggling with this matter should not give up. On our child support page, you can read more about this side of family law.

Related Posts