Dealing with someone who refuses to pay child support

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in child support on Saturday, April 15, 2017.

If you are a parent who is struggling due to the financial responsibilities associated with raising a child, child support can be incredibly helpful. Unfortunately, some parents fail to pay child support as required by law, leaving their child’s other parent with financial struggles. At Stange Law Firm, we are all too aware of the various problems that parents in Jackson County, and elsewhere in Missouri, often face when they do not receive child support.

Sometimes, parents who are ordered to pay child support miss payments because they lost their job or are going through financial problems for another reason. On the other hand, some parents willfully choose not to pay child support. If your child’s other parent refuses to pay the child support that he or she owes, you should take a look at the different options that may be on the table. Ideally, the other parent of your child will acknowledge the importance of supporting his or her child, but sometimes additional actions are necessary.

When parents refuse to fulfill their child support obligations, there are a number of strategies that can be employed to encourage them to start paying. For example, they can have their passport revoked or be denied a passport when they apply, if they have fallen far enough behind. Other potential consequences include wage garnishment, the interception of tax refunds, license revocation and even time behind bars.

If you visit our page on collecting back child support, you can have a closer look at information related to this area of family law, including child support modification.

Related Posts