Can I deduct my child support payments when filing taxes?

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in child support on Friday, March 3, 2017.

If you split up with your marital partner, your life may have changed in various ways. For example, you may be required to pay alimony or child support or you could be involved in a dispute over child custody. In the middle of tax season, you may have even more uncertainties related to your divorce, such as whether or not you can deduct your child support payments. In Jackson County, Missouri, and across the whole U.S., it is vital for parents to understand all of their obligations and try to make their life easier after a divorce.

The Internal Revenue Service states that you cannot deduct any child support payments¬†that you have made on your tax return. Furthermore, your child’s custodial parent as well as all others who receive child support payments do not pay taxes on the child support that they have received. However, it is vital to keep in mind that divorce could have an impact on your taxes in other ways, such as affecting your filing status, among other issues.

For some, recovering from a contentious divorce can be quite challenging. However, you should try to avoid running into additional difficulties by developing a solid understanding of all of your responsibilities and identifying any strategies which could ease the financial strain of divorce, such as modifying your child support order.

You also need to remember that this blog is being provided for general informational purposes regarding child support and does not serve as a substitute for legal advice.

Related Posts