Paying back child support to obtain a passport

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in child support on Saturday, February 4, 2017.

In a recent post, we examined the Passport Denial Program, which bars parents who have fallen behind on their child support payments from obtaining or renewing a passport. If you have over $2,500 worth of unpaid child support in Jackson County, or another Missouri region, you may be unable to leave the country. At Stange Law Firm, P.C., we recognize the different reasons people need passports, from business trips to visiting family members and sightseeing.

If you want to address back child support in order to regain passport eligibility, the Department of State has outlined a number of steps that will have to be taken. First, they recommend setting up payment arrangements with the state where you are delinquent in child support payments prior to sending in your passport application. Next, the state is required to inform the Department of Health and Human Services, which has to remove you from their outstanding arrears list. Once Passport Services confirms that you are no longer on the HHS list, they will be able to process your passport application. However, it is vital to remember that it can take two to three weeks for your application to be processed after you have made child support payment arrangements.

If you cannot pay your child support, you should immediately take steps to address the situation. Depending on your circumstances, modification could be a possibility. If you visit the section of our site that is devoted to child support, you can peruse even more on child support modification and other topics on this area of family law.

Related Posts